What do you think the most common answer is, when asking business leaders when the last time they connected with their top 10 clients by phone or in person was?
For the first few seconds after I have asked this question in the past, I most often see eye movement trying to think about it, and then get a response along the lines of “I guess I don’t personally connect with all of them that often.” PO’s or service request may come in from their teams but with the busy nature of life, these relationships that are the key to current business revenue are largely winged by happenstance or driven by resolving an issue if it escalates up to decision maker level.
The 2 Problems
Problem #1 is how do you strengthen current relationships to get repeat business?
So driving down further, do you have a systematic way to stay in contact with the decision maker and nurture that relationship, working to ensure that you keep their business? There is so much competition in the market that we as leaders should fundamentally focus first on keeping the business that we have.
Problem #2 is more of an opportunity, namely how can you get your clients to refer you to other people they know?
These two questions are what motivated this article. Since I am a recovering engineer I wanted to frame this cleanly in a problem solution format so you can use the following perspective as a filter for future decisions and to understand the impact that leveraging gifts of gratitude can have on your most important relationships and business.
A solution you can use for future decision making
The #1 Most Important Factor Connecting Client Gifting to Repeat & Referral Business
I want to tell you a story that exemplifies the one factor perfectly. Dave pulled me aside at an event recently and said to me, “Hey Ray, you make me look good all the time in front of my wife.” I said, “Oh really, how is that?” He then told me, “So you know those custom glasses you engraved for me from the bottles you rescue… Well, every time we have family or friends over my wife brings them out for our guests to use and she tells them about your 10 million bottle rescue mission and how I got them as a gift from you. I know for a fact that a few of them have ordered from your website because of it. Best part is that every time guests come over it makes me look good and I don’t have to say a word.” He says this smiling. Dave owns a hospital and can buy whatever stuff he needs. So you can imagine that Dave's customers could have a hard time gifting to him. I know many of you reading this can relate because if your clients are buying a lot from you then they are probably fairly well to do and hard to gift to because of it. What people like Dave, and your clients, really want are conversation pieces (gifts) with stories and purpose, that are stylish too, that their family and friends can also enjoy....
This leads to the #1 factor connection client gifts to repeat and referral business. I framed it in the form of a question so that you can use it when making decisions on what you should or shouldn’t buy for your clients.
The #1 Most Important Factor Connecting Client Gifting to Repeat & Referral Business Is:
How can your gift double as a conversation piece for your most important clients so that people will ask them about it at least once a month for at least 5 years in a row?
Think about it, a conversation had about your gift will lead to the question of where they got it and your story gets told.
- If your client has a conversation about your gift once a month for 5 years that is 60 times your story gets told for that one gift. If you are a wealth manager and the family or friend they are talking to is in need of help in that area then they will most likely ask about you. This is how referrals organically happen. People who use your professional service or products most likely know other people who can use it too right? Even if its only 5 times a year for 5 years that is still 25x talked about.
- Does this make you feel different about gifting one and done gifts that will never be asked about or be around after a month? Gift cards, food, and the like blow my mind. Gifters see the gracious reaction of their clients and feel like they succeeded. That money you just spent was an expense. Wouldn’t you rather get your story told 25x, 60x or more?
- The internet has brought around an increased value put on social currency. Restaurants have reviews on Yelp. Products have a star rating on Amazon. People are more likely to believe others candid reviews of your business than what you say about your business. So knowing this, how can you help the conversation about your business come up more often… This is what a great client gift can do. If you ask your clients for referrals then you may get a warm intro, but when you call them you are talking about you. This way your clients talk about you and the referral contacts you already warm.
I hope that this gives you a new found perspective on the power of gifts of gratitude that both have lasting power and serve as a conversation piece.
This #1 factor leads to other questions that I will cover in future articles. Some of these subjects are shown below:
- How purposeful gifts of gratitude get your story told more often
- What will get your client to show their family and friends the gift you gave them 60 times or more.
- Why customizing your clients last name on everyday use products is the only way to gift…
- Why the holidays are the worst time of the year to gift to important clients
Please connect me through Linked In or email and send me a message if you have any questions what so ever about truly impactful gifting. I started my business because I love to see people animated about receiving our custom made, personalized, and purpose driven products. I hear them say that it is their favorite to use every day and it makes me happy.
You are the real hero of our story because our team would repurpose ZERO bottles without you. Thank you!!
Cheers, Ray DelMuro
Founder & owner of Refresh Glass & Refresh Glass Client Gifts
Featured in Inc. Magazine: “7 Client Gifts That Will Make You Unforgettable.”
Home of the 10 Million Bottle Rescue Mission
We would love to make you a free sample with your company logo engraved on one of our glasses. All that I would ask in return is that you respond to an email after letting us know what you thought of it. I don’t like being sold either and prefer to let you know our solution exists so you can choose whether or not to buy.
--> If you would like a free sample just reach out and tell us, hey I’d love one.